The majority of TCNJ students enroll in the Open Option Program in the School of Humanities & Social Sciences (Humanities and Social Science) as entering first-year students. However, there is also a small group of upper level students, identified as students in transition, who come to Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS), from other TCNJ schools. They switch into the School of Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS) to explore a major in that school. The Associate Dean serves as their academic adviser until they complete the required foundation courses or are accepted in the new major.
Role of the Associate Dean as Academic Adviser:
- Serves as an academic adviser to students in transition within the School of Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS)
- Offers advice on course selection, assists with registration and facilitates entry in a major
- Establishes and evaluates academic goals
- Assists in understanding and navigating college policies and procedures
- Connects students with other college programs and resources