Happy and Smart Students: Rebecca Havens

Rebecca Havens, senior Psychology and Special Education double major, mentor for the Career and Community Studies (CCS) Program, and President of Best Buddies, TCNJ's society for friendship between students with and without disabilities

See this story in its bite-size version on our Instagram and Facebook.

“How did you get to where you are today?”

“I got to where I am today because the undying support from my parents. They’ve always encouraged me in everything I do, and my mom was the one who inspired me to go into education.”

“What’s your greatest accomplishment?”

“My greatest accomplishment is building Spread the Word to End the Word Week at TCNJ into something really incredible. The other members of the Best Buddies Eboard and myself have worked really hard over the past three years to bring this national campaign to campus each March and spread awareness about the hurtful effects of the derogatory term “retarded.” This year, over two hundred students came to our “R-Word Monologues” event, hundreds more signed our pledge, and we were able to really build a presence on campus. It makes me so happy that TCNJ cares about a cause so important to me.”

“What’s beautiful about today?”

“Today is beautiful because there are so many passionate people in the world who follow their hearts and do what makes them smile. And they have no idea how many people they effect in turn.”

Interview by Jack Meyers

Photography by Jaryd Frankel

Contact

School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Social Sciences Building, Room 302
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628

609.771.3434
hss@tcnj.edu