Maya Hendl

I chose to enter the TCNJ HSS Open Options (now Undeclared) program because I really wanted to have the freedom to explore different areas of study before making a decision. While in the program, I was encouraged to take classes I had never considered. Coming into college is a scary and anxious time for most; being in the Orientation & Advising class during my first semester with other HSS Undeclared students was definitely a comfort.

One misconception that I had in entering as Undeclared was that I was going to be so far behind my peers. I was completely wrong about that; my professors and advisors throughout my time at TCNJ have been incredibly helpful and supportive as I’ve explored and defined my own path. I am even going to graduate a full year early as a dual major in Criminology & Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies!

The two best things you can possibly do during your college experience are explore and get out of your comfort zone both socially and academically.

Maya Hendl (she, her, hers),
’22 Criminology and WGSS double major

Contact

School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Social Sciences Building, Room 302
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628

609.771.3434
hss@tcnj.edu