The College of New Jersey has established an affiliation agreement with Villanova University’s Charles Widger School of Law, allowing third-year juniors and graduating seniors direct entry to law school. This highly selective program allows TCNJ juniors who meet the eligibility and application requirements to attend Villanova Law during their senior year, obtain dual credit, and receive a full-tuition scholarship. Eligible TCNJ seniors receive a half-tuition scholarship.
Per the affiliation agreement, up to 8 TCNJ units may be transferred back to TCNJ from Villanova Law and double count for both degrees. TCNJ will count the following Villanova first-year courses towards College Core requirements: Contracts (Belief Systems), Criminal Law (Behavioral, Social, or Cultural Perspectives), Constitutional Law (Historical Perspectives), and Torts (Belief Systems).
Students interested in the TCNJ – Villanova Law School Partnership can complete this form to be added to the program email list.
Dual Degree: Bachelor’s/Juris Doctor (JD)
There are two pathways for qualified students:
- A 3+3 pathway in which TCNJ students spend three years at TCNJ and then three years at Villanova Law, with credits earned at the successful completion of the first year of law school and transferring back to TCNJ to satisfy final graduation requirements
- A 4+3 pathway in which TCNJ students apply to Villanova Law in their senior year and matriculate after having graduated from TCNJ
- Complete at least three years and a minimum of 24 course units (equivalent to 96 credits) at TCNJ.
- Earn a minimum GPA at TCNJ at or above the 50th percentile of the most recent class to matriculate at Villanova Law. (50th percentile GPA in 2023 = 3.80)
- Earn a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA (as calculated by the Law School Admission Council) at or above the 50th percentile of the most recent class to matriculate at Villanova Law.
- TCNJ juniors: Take the Law School Admission Test no later than January of your junior year and earn a minimum score at or above the 75th percentile of the most recent class to matriculate at Villanova Law for third-year students. (75th percentile LSAT in 2023 = 165)
- TCNJ seniors: Take the LSAT and score at or above the median of the most recent class to matriculate at Villanova Law for fourth-year students.
- Remain in good academic and disciplinary standing at TCNJ throughout matriculation.
Eligible TCNJ Undergraduate Majors
School of Business
- Economics (BA only)
- Interdisciplinary Business
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- African American Studies
- International Studies
- Philosophy, Religion, and Classical Studies
- Political Science
- Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- Apply by February 1 of junior/senior year at TCNJ.
- Obtain a strong recommendation from a TCNJ prelaw advisor.
- Take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT). See the eligibility requirements above for details.
- Interview successfully with Villanova Law before receiving a final admission decision.
The application fee will be waived for students who meet all of the above requirements.
- Eligible TCNJ juniors will receive a full-tuition scholarship for law school.
- Eligible TCNJ seniors will receive a half-tuition scholarship for law school.
- Scholarships automatically renew for students who stay in good academic and disciplinary standing.
Please note that TCNJ scholarships will not apply toward law school and vice versa.